The Highway Herald

for the students by the students

The Highway Herald

The Highway Herald

THS Cell Phone Policy

As the 2023-2024 school year started up, I’m sure you all have noticed the plethora of new rules and regulations being introduced to the school. New rules on when students are allowed to leave for the bathroom, how many lates count as a detention, and the most controversial of all, the new phone policy. 

Teaneck High School’s new phone policy states that “When entering the learning environment, all cell phones/electronics will be put into caddy until otherwise notified. They should not be visible or used in class,” repercussions for violating this policy includes but is not limited to a verbal warning, after school detention, a structured day, and confiscation of the student’s electronic device. 

Students generally use cell phones in the classroom for listening to music, taking pictures of notes, having a second screen (in addition to a computer) to use for work, etc. It is important to weigh the pros and cons of phone use in the classroom, although electronic devices can prove to be a distraction for some, for others cell phones can be used as a tool to ensure productivity and focus. As this is a school-wide policy, I felt it was important to gather opinions from several sources in the High School…

“I understand it from a teacher’s perspective. Teenagers are already so unfocused and the phones really just add to it. Personally I don’t mind it, I know how much they take away from the attention of classwork so it makes sense. “- Teaneck High School Freshman

“It’s silly and completely unnecessary, the rule should only be applied to those who don’t listen; It’s not fair to students who actually pay attention in class. Not everyone is attached to their phone, so not everyone should be penalized for it. “- Teaneck High School Freshman

“In my opinion, the policy feels very elementary, very childish. This is a problem that could be handled in a way with more understanding and reason than just immediate confiscation, and just taking the phones. If they really feel like it’s that necessary, then maybe they should just do it for the underclassmen, and not the upperclassmen who have a higher level of maturity.”- Teaneck High School Senior

“I’m a fan of the policies; I was going to confiscate the phones anyway this year, so I’m glad that the school stepped up, offered us the caddies, and established this as the new norm. I understand that the repercussions for disobeying the policy may feel harsh, takes some time to adjust to, but I don’t think they are outlandish, especially because it makes it easier for the school if every classroom has to stick to the same rules.”- Teaneck High School Teacher

Regardless of public opinion, the policy is set in stone for this school year. But I am curious to see how it will evolve, how teachers will make it their own, and how students will continue to feel about it.