THS: A Community

THS: A Community

Michelle Medina

Any newcomer to Teaneck who comes to see our high school would potentially receive an eerie vibe from it. From the faded color of the brick, the aged, brown trees, and the ancient gargoyles peering down at anyone that enters through the front of the building, it’s reasonable for any person to turn to the opposite direction to walk or run off. Do not fret just yet.

Have you ever heard the expression, “Don’t judge a book by its cover?” Well, Teaneck High School fits perfectly under this description. Established in 1922, it is still amazing that the school is up and running with new students entering each year. The hallway that leads from the entrance is always full and lively. You will usually see groups of kids on their way to class or just simply relaxing due to their lunchtime. You will always have a staff member or school official greet you at the entrance though, they’re very friendly.

Nevertheless, the exterior isn’t too bad. Surrounding the school are a bunch of shrubs and a couple of flowers. Also across from the entrance lies a park bench that the class of 2005 was nice enough to donate. Head farther out and you can’t miss the gigantic football field as well as the track field. The aura gets loud and energetic every time a home game is held at the football field.

What gets even more wild at our school are the pep rallies. Even if you are not a fan of loud events, you have to appreciate the love that students have for each other and for their own school. Teaneck is also a community that is very proud for having some of the most diverse schools in the country.

53 years ago in 1964 Teaneck was the first community in America to voluntarily advocate for desegregated schools. 10 years after the Brown vs. Board of Education declared “separate but equal” schools were unconstitutional; the nation was struggling to integrate students. There was an instance in Arkansas where the first black students – the Little Rock Nine – were integrated into a white school. However, not without a guard to prevent any attacks from a raging mob. Teaneck fortunately did not take the same turn as Arkansas. Teaneck at the time already had an integrated high school. Even though the number of minorities in Teaneck had increased, discriminatory practices had ordered for blacks and whites to go to different sections of the school. The district Board of Education voted 7-2 on May 13, 1964, to have children of all races attend sixth grade in one school.

In so doing, Teaneck distinguished itself from every other city, town and community in America by not waiting for a court to order students bused out of their neighborhoods to comply with the Supreme Court’s ruling. So, our school may be aged, but we are proud to have liberal thinking kids come here to learn, share ideas, get along as equals, and most importantly to help raise school spirit.

Sources:

http://dng.northjersey.com/media_server/tr/2014/teaneck50/teaneck50.html